Wednesday, November 16, 2011

FIRST THINGS FIRST

My aim is to develop the expectation in my [toddler] kids for Christmas and the coming of the Baby Jesus.   I really want to lay foundations of meaning around Christmas that they won’t learn about in shopping centres.  I would also like to make the Silly Season less silly and more sane by planning 'together time'.

The faith component of Christmas is important to us.  Make your own adjustments if you are of a different spiritual ilk.  While searching around for things to do I came across lots of sites authored by people of different spiritual heritages and I’ve found their perspective helpful already.  So I’m going to branch out and give myself a bit of Catholic tuition over the next month or two.

Take a photo a day when you are having your Advent Events.  Day 24 can be to make a scrapbook of the season for keeps.  Have a look at this great one but don’t let it intimidate you – even a $2 flip album is good enough.  The kids will love to look at themselves in photos for the next year.


A fantastically over-the-top Advent scrapbook from 2010 to admire

Advent Scrapbook as it unfolds for Ali Edwards this year.

It’s easy to combine two days in one like Day 5, Christmas Decorations with Day 20, Decorate Kids’ Room.   All the activities are labelled Make, Do or Cook (see notation in the footer of each days post).  This just means you can combine like activities such as the Family Picnic with the Christmas Light Drive – both tagged “Do”.  Heck, why not add a “Cook” activity in there too?!

Almost none of this site is my original thought.  It’s all just links to things I plan to do with my kids (4, 2.5 and a few months).  It’s high on activity and low on detail.  Tweak it for your own kiddies and let everyone know in the comment section when you find any online gems….I’ll update this site next year.  Of course, some sites are just downright kooky (like this, just to prove my point ) but the content is worth a look.

Think ahead!  It is probably worth flicking through a few of the crafts to ensure you have what you need for the task.  Your Useful Box may already have everything you need to do most of these craft projects.  Any other supplies are easily found at somewhere like Crazy Clarks or Red Dot.  Write a list and shop once.

Please leave comments on each post if you find something great online, have new and better suggestions or need me to edit some info.  I'll plan to update it every year with new content.

If you are interested in making a Gingerbread House sometime in December try these guys.  I know IKEA do an $8 jobbie too.

I trust you have a little fun and allow the meanings embedded in this season seep out into your life and transform you and your children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment